My Work Trip

Well, if you follow me on Instagram, you are well aware that I went on a work trip last week.

And I did actually WORK! You just happened to see 800 photos of the fun part of the trip.

So here’s the deal – at my job, these events are really intense. Your are up and going and working from 7:30 or earlier, to midnight or later, every day as many days as you are there. It is really intense, we also have a work hard/play hard philosophy, so at some the work becomes play, and drinks become conversations with influencers, and dinner becomes mai-tais, and then in just a few short hours your back to your booth and sessions and whatever else.

So for this particular trip, I was in Orlando. It has been on my bucket list to visit the Mouse in his Florida House for years. So, given the chance to go there. I was going to go. And I did. We arrived Saturday late, and didn’t have to be on the floor until Sunday at 3pm. So Sunday, morning – 2pm, we went to Epcot. We = my friend Karen, and I. We BLASTED through Epcot and hit everything we wanted to hit. Below are photos from that day. Epcot was cool, and very educational. We hit “Land of the Living”  – which is a very cool ride through some greenhouses, Soarin over California (which is the same – aka – identical – as the CA version), the ride in the ball and Test Track – which is a souped up version of Radiator Springs. We walked through all the country sections, rode on Maelstrom, and had lunch in Morocco, and gelato in Italy. After we were done working (3pm – 7:30am + 2 hours of email before we left for the park that morning), we snuck back over and watched the fireworks. It was pretty awesome, we took the water taxi – very fun!

Monday, I worked in my room from 7 – 8:30, was on the show floor until 8pm, and then had a team dinner, until 11 – so that was that. Lots of work. We had a team dinner, and then had mandatory fun with the big boss, in the hotel lobby bar until 1:30? 2? I can’t remember. And I do mean, mandatory. Alot of these events is getting face time with the big bosses after the business day is over, so it meant being in the bar, bonding over numbers and football – but it was fun.

Tuesday – same deal, but we closed the floor at 6:30, so we could do a quick change and head to Hollywood Studios for the big event. Each event we have one “entertainment night” provided by the conference, you may remember in past years I’ve seen Carrie Underwear, or Adam and Maroon 5 – awesome! This event they bought a section of Hollywood Studios, and we were there for a few hours. It was a fun time – we rode Tower of Terror, Star Tours, I chickened out of the Rock & Roll Roller Coaster at the last minute, and the Toy Story arcade was closed. Damn. Tower of Terror was AWESOME and different from the DL version – so much more fun!

I also rocked the Cupid Shuffle on the dance floor with my boss. Now, if you aren’t familiar with the Dirty South – please watch this video – or at least the beginning of it:

So, Renee and I heard that song and totally ditched our group to join the dance party – was pretty awesome. My favorite comment was “Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl, you can move!” – Yup, college at Cal State Northridge, did in fact teach me something. We got back from the park and ended up in the bar, where we had a lovely dinner of Mai-Tais and bar nuts. Delicious. We ended up in a bar with a few of the influencers until 2ish, which was good. Good networking time.

Wednesday was a full work day. I facilitated a 20 person meeting for 3 hours, and then crashed in the hotel. I was done. DONE.

Thursday, however, Thursday was a day of pure fun. Most of the team flew home on Thursday and had Friday off. I took Thursday off and flew home on Friday.

We woke up and it was miserable weather. MISERABLE. It was low 40’s and raining, so we had a plan B moment. We decided to breakfast and explore downtown D, and then Karen was catching an earlier than planned flight so she could get to Denver prior to the start of the giant storm, and I’d hit the park solo. It turned out to be perfect. Downtown D is HUGE. Like… dwarfs the size of our Downtown D – it was crazy. We had breakfast and she had an ice cream sundae, and then we headed to the monorail and toured a couple of the hotels. I ended up hitting the park at 2pm. I had an “after 2” ticket, sold through the conference for 1/2 the price of a full day ticket.

I literally walked the entire park. I did every ride I wanted to do. Exception being Big Thunder, which literally as I was the next person to get on. I did not do Space Mountain – no thank you. They have new seats like the Matterhorn at DL, and no thank you. Tailbone.

I walked every land, saw every very thing, went on every ride, saw a couple of shows and it was SO fun. and HUGE. Like.. GIGANTIC. There were only a few thousand people in the park, so I literally walked on everything. I waited a bit for the Winnie the Pooh Ride, and used my fast pass on Peter Pan, but everything else…. walked on. It was SO fun.

I also got to use my new digital camera on the Electrical Parade, which was so cool. I havent seen that in YEARs, and it was awesome to get to see it as an adult.

Finally, they had a lightshow, using the castle as the background, and then fireworks. Please note – it was SO foggy, all you could see was little glowing moments, no fireworks – totally funny. Also a bunch of the castle photos are blurry, but it was pretty cool to see them use the castle as a backdrop, which is what I tried to capture.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

And then. Well, that’s it. I bought myself a hat, and my mom some winestoppers, looked for silverware (didnt see any, sorry K) and nearly bought a hoodie, but decided I’d hold off and then headed back to my hotel where I tried to cram 14 lbs more of stuff into my bag, than I’d brought with me (8 pages of flip chart paper, a new backpack courtesy of the event, and my heavier shoes, since I was wearing sandles home) and then passed out.


Got up, flew home and today am back in my home office, in my work uniform of yoga pants and a hoodie, and am super happy that I got to cross something off my bucket list.


Next bucket item: 11 day cruise to Alaska this summer, courtesy of Annette – whose mother, L1 died and left her a chunk of change. L2 (Annette) is taking us all on a CRUISE TO ALASKA. I am beside myself. Camp finishes on the 1st, and I will be on a giant boat on the 8th. With a balcony, and a 16 year old roommate, and I dontevencareIamthatexcited!




I also have a ton of work photos, that show what I do on the showfloor, but those are not nearly as exciting. However, if you – all 8 of you – want to see them, I could post or send them.


now, the end. again.


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s